Agave is a super sweet liquid that is often refereed to as the “healthy” or “low GI” alternative to sugar, however:
- According to Dr Joseph Mercola, “Most agave nectar or syrup is nothing more than a laboratory-generated super-condensed fructose syrup, devoid of virtually all nutrient value. Agave syrup is mostly fructose and is so highly processed and refined that it bears NO resemblance to the plant for which it’s named” (1).
- Fructose is the most damaging type of sugar you can eat. It promotes disease, causes hormonal imbalnces. and is stored as fat.
The Solution: Opt for natural sweeteners like stevia, raw honey, coconut sugar, or grade B maple syrup.
The fruit juice you buy in stores is usually highly processed, filled with extra sugar, and toxic preservatives. It is also pasteurized and heated – killing any nutrients it may have started with. BUT – even if you are drinking fresh squeezed or juiced fruit juice- it is still a bad idea.
- Drinking fruit juice is like drinking strait sugar. Because the fruit has been stripped of its fiber, it’s converted straight into sugar as soon as it hits your mouth which completely sends your blood sugar levels on a roller coaster. (Hello mood swings, cravings, and energy crashes!)
- Because there is no fiber in it, you have no chewing resistance and nothing to stop you from downing massive amounts of sugar in a short amount of time.
- As we know, excess sugar in the body feeds disease and cancer cells. No one has time for that.
The Solution: Vegetable Juice! Or smoothies with fruit blended- fiber and all.
Many people drink sports drinks for the hydration and electrolytes they promise. Unfortunately:
- These drinks are filled with high fructose corn syrup, sodium, and artificial colors and flavors. Your body sees these added ingredients as toxins and has to work so hard to try and detoxify itself from them.
- “Sports drinks are up to 30 times more erosive to your teeth than water. And brushing your teeth won’t help because the citric acid in the sports drink will soften your tooth enamel so much it could be damaged simply by brushing” (1).
The Solution: Drinking coconut water, coconut water kefir, vegetable juice, or water with lemon or apple cider vinegar and a pinch of sea salt will truly hydrate your body and keep it strong for a lifetime.
Whole Wheat Bread:
Opposite to what we have been hearing for years about the nutritional value of whole grains, there’s a huge body of scientific evidence that proves they do more harm to your body than good.
Which of the following foods below do you think causes the greatest surge in blood sugar?
A tablespoon of pure white sugar, A Snickers bar, A banana, And a slice of whole wheat bread.
Nope, not the sneakers bar, but the whole wheat bread! Blood sugar imbalances cause so many health issues, hormonal imbalances, and depression. Whole wheat products slowly wear down your digestive system, spike blood sugar levels, and make your body store fat.
Many people these days are sensitive to wheat and are not connecting their symptoms. If you have brain fog, fatige, hormonal imbalances, digestive issues, acne,anxiety, or depression, try cutting wheat out for a while and you may notice glowing skin, stable energy, improved digestion, and a clear mind.
- Grains contain anti-nutrients and lectins that can damage your gut. And it is the fiber portion of the grain that actually contains most of the anti-nutrients. These components can cause inflammation, “leaky gut”, and hormonal imbalances, acne, depression, and digestive disorders.
- Wheat and other grains that contain gluten are the worst. Wheat has been found to be highly inflammatory, and can pass through your blood-brain barrier and interfere with neurotransmitter function.
- Any excess wheat or whole grain that is left in the body is converted to sugar and stored as fat, cancer and other diseased cells feed off of this left over sugar.
The Solution: Avoid all wheat products and limit grains as much as possible. Focus on carbohydrates like sweet potato, spaghetti squash, and gluten free grains such as quinoa, millet, buckwheat.
Non-fat Greek Yogurt:
Or any non-fat low-fat dairy for that matter. So many people are eating low fat yogurt thinking it is the healthy thing to do. Even substituting yogurt instead of butter or cream thinking that is what is best for their waistline. FALSE. Non fat and low fat dairy products do not nourish your body in any way and do not keep you thin.
- When dairy is pasteurized, it kills all of the live enzymes and nutrients that make it nutritious in the first place. With no live enzymes in tact, dairy becomes very inflammatory to the body and hard on the digestive system.
- On top of that, when it is pasteurized and then skimmed to make it low fat, it then becomes harmful to your body because it has no live enzymes, no nutrients, just dead, watered down milk that will cause inflammation in your body which leads to weight GAIN. Especially if the dairy is from factory farmed cows raised on grains and antibiotics. CHOOSE DAIRY WISELY.
- Remember, healthy fats actually burn fat in your body. To lose weight, eat full fat. Sounds crazy because we have been told different all our lives, but give it a try- you will be so surprised and your body will flourish.
The Solution: Dairy can be very unhealthy and even deadly to the body if it is low-fat, pasteurized, or non organic. However, RAW dairy that is organic and grass fed and be extremely healing and help your body burn fat like never before. Raw kefir and yogurt from grass fed cows, goats, or sheep can be extremely beneficial for hormonal health and glowing skin.